At LIAD Financial Services (“LIAD”), we take privacy very seriously. In Australia, we’re bound by the Privacy Act 1988, including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in the Act, when we handle your personal information. We encourage you to read this Policy carefully as it outlines how we maintain your privacy when handling your personal information if you’re a client, a visitor to one of our websites or a member of the public. It will help you make informed decisions about sharing your personal information with us.
LIAD collects your personal information. The Service involves the storage of Data about a company or individual. That Data can include personal information. “Personal information” is information about an identifiable individual, and may include information such as the individual’s name, email address, telephone number, bank account details, taxation details, and accounting and financial information.
- What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion that identifies you, or could reasonably identify you as an individual, whether the information or opinion is true or not.
- The kinds of personal information we may collect from you
We collect Personal Data from you, such as first and last name, email and mailing addresses, IP address, telephone number, company name, and password, when you register for the LIAD Accounting Service. In addition, we (or our third-party credit card or payment processor) will collect Personal Data including your credit card number or account information when you upgrade to a paid account.
- We only collect personal information from you that is necessary to do business with you.
- The personal information that we collect about you includes your name, postal and street address, email address, telephone number, gender, age, profession/role, place of work, information relating to the complaints you’ve made to us and various personal preferences. We also collect your payment information, such as your credit card or direct debit information and ABN, when you purchase a product or service from us. If you’re a bank feeds user, we’ll collect your account details so that you and your other authorised recipients can receive transaction information from your nominated accounts.
- Some personal information is considered ‘sensitive information’ under the Privacy Act. Sensitive information can include your membership of a professional or trade association (e.g. CPA status), which we might collect from you in certain situations. We’ll only collect sensitive information about you if you give the information to us yourself, or otherwise consent to us having it.
- How we collect your personal information
We collect most personal information directly from you, through:
- making an order;
- registering a product;
- registering for a product trial or to use the Service;
- using the Service;
- new client forms;
- company file activation;
- actions performed by you from within your product or application;
- transactional services and payment services;
- contacting client support;
- posts on the LIAD Community or the LIAD blog;
- inbound and outbound sales calls;
- visiting our website, including the client self-service portal;
- members of our authorised partners and certified consultant programmes;
- competition entry forms;
- bookings for training and events;
- talent release forms and product testimonials;
- customer surveys;
- when you register for newsletters;
- job applications; or
- when you provide material to us to enable us to provide our services to you.
You can always choose not to provide your personal information to LIAD, but it may mean that we are unable to provide you with the Service.
We may also collect personal information about you:
- from our third party joint initiative partners;
- that is publicly available from sources such as social media websites; and
- from third parties that provide us with marketing leads.
- Personal Data collected via technology
LIAD (which is hosted by a third-party service provider) collects Personal Data from you, such as browser type, the approximate geographic location of your mobile device or computer (from your Internet Protocol (IP) address), operating system and version, Internet Protocol (IP) address, domain name, information about your application, operating environment and hardware profiles and/or a date/time stamp for your visit. We may also use Identifiers (as defined below) and navigational data like Uniform Resource Locators (URL) to gather information regarding the date and time of your visit and/or access to the LIAD Service and your activity on the Site and the Application. Like most Internet services, we automatically gather this Personal Data and store it in log files each time you visit the Site, use the Application or access your account on our network.
When you interact with the Site or the Application, we try to make that experience simple and useful. We and our partners use industry standard identifiers, such as cookies or other similar technologies. We also use mobile device identifiers that perform a similar role, like the UDID used by Apple devices and the IDFA used by Android devices. Cookies are small pieces of information which are issued to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be) when you visit a website or access or use a mobile application and which store and sometimes track information about your use of the Site or Application (as the case may be). A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or Application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the Application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to the Site or Application and will last for longer. We refer to cookies and the mobile device equivalents as “Identifiers”.
We use Identifiers to:
- remember that you have visited us before; this means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive;
- customize elements of the promotional layout and/or content of the pages of the Site or Application; and
- collect statistical information about how you use the Site or App (including how long you spend on the Site or Application) and where you have come to the Site or Application from, so that we can improve the Site and learn which parts of the Site and which functions of the Application are most popular with users.
Some of the Identifiers used by the Site are set or accessed (as appropriate) by us, and some a by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set.
In addition to cookies, web beacons may be used by ourselves or third parties in respect of your use of the Site or Application. Web beacons are small image files within the content of the Site or Application for analytics purposes so we or third parties can understand which parts of the Site or Application are visited and which functions of the Site or Application are used and whether particular content is of interest.
When you download and use our Services, we automatically collect information on the type of device you use and operating system version.
We send you push notifications from time-to-time in order to update you about any reminders you have set or any product components you might not be aware of. If you no longer wish to receive these types of communications, you turn them off at the device level. To ensure you receive proper notifications, we will need to collect certain information about your device such as operating system and user identification information.
We collect your location-based information for the purpose of providing location specific features. We may share your geo-location data with third parties for the sole purpose of providing these services.
We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our Mobile Software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
- 3rd party tracking technologies
- Information about other parties
- Through your use of the Service, LIAD may also collect information from you about someone else (e.g. if you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our service). If you provide LIAD with personal information about someone else, you must ensure that you are authorised to disclose that information to LIAD and that, without LIAD taking any further steps required by applicable data protection or privacy laws, LIAD may collect, use and disclose such information for the purposes described in this Policy.
- This means that you must take reasonable steps to ensure the individual concerned is aware of and/or consents to the various matters detailed in this Policy, including the fact that their personal information is being collected, the purposes for which that information is being collected, the intended recipients of that information, the individual’s right to obtain access to that information, LIAD’s identity, and how to contact LIAD.
- Where requested to do so by LIAD, you must also assist LIAD with any requests by the individual to access or update the personal information you have collected from them and entered into the Service.
- How we use your personal information
We use your personal information for purposes related to the Services to:
- administer the Service;
- perform product registration and company file activation, identify you as the product owner and to provide client support and service to you, your business partners and your employees;
- send you a welcome email to verify ownership of the email address provided when your account was created;
- send you administrative email notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
- fulfill orders and provide you with the products and services you’ve asked for;
- assist with the resolution of technical support issues or other issues relating to the Service;
- assist your authorised professional adviser (e.g your accountant or bookkeeper);
- provide you with accounting and business management software and related services;
- improve the quality of experience when you interact with LIAD;
- keep you informed about our products and services and those of our relevant business and joint initiative partners;
- record your marketing, training and communication preferences;
- send with your consent (or where a friend has referred you to us) promotional communications;
- enable secure access to our websites;
- comply with laws and regulations in applicable jurisdictions;
- participate in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in us or our assets (Personal Data may be among the items sold or otherwise transferred in these types of transactions, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal Data);
- process your transaction details for bank feeds where you have signed up for these; and
- fulfil any legal and regulatory obligations.
Product promotion and direct marketing
- We may use your personal information to contact you about product upgrades and releases and to let you know about new services and special offers relevant to your business.
- If you don’t want us to use your personal information for direct marketing, you can let us know at any time through one of the following channels:
- to opt out of email marketing by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any of our marketing communications.
- to opt out of all other marketing communications, such as direct mail or phone calls as well as emails, contact email@example.com
- We may share your Personal Data with Partner Companies to provide technical support or to provide specific services, such as hosting of your applications, maintenance services, database management or payment processing for purchases (including but not limited to PayPal and the Stripe). Partner Companies will have access to your Personal Data only to perform these services on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. They may be located, or their data processing activities may take place, in the United States of America or elsewhere outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
By using the Service, you consent to your personal information being collected, held and used in this way and for any other use you authorise. LIAD will only use your personal information for the purposes described in this Policy or with your express permission.
It is your responsibility to keep your password to the Service safe and ensure no unauthorised Users add their fingerprint to your device. You should notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any misuse of your password, and immediately change your password within the Service or via the “Forgotten Password” procedure.
- How we Aggregate and use your non-personally identifiable data
Aggregated data is data that is effectively anonymous – it doesn’t contain any information specific to you or your business. We sometimes share aggregated data, such as statistical trends in a particular industry sector, with our business partners.
LIAD may use this aggregated non-personally identifiable data to:
- assist us to better understand how our customers are using the Service;
- provide our customers with further information regarding the uses and benefits of the Service;
- enhance small business productivity, including by creating useful business insights from that aggregated data and allowing you to benchmark your business’ performance against that aggregated data; and
- otherwise to improve the Service.
- Data security
- All Data, including personal and non-personal information, that is entered into the Service by you, or automatically imported on your instruction, is transferred to LIAD’s servers as a function of transmission across the Internet. By using the Service, you consent to your personal information being transferred to our servers as set out in this Policy.
- By providing your personal information to LIAD, you consent to LIAD storing your personal information on hosted servers that might be hosted in the United States. The server host’s role is limited to providing a hosting and storage service to LIAD, and we’ve taken steps to ensure that our server hosts do not have access to, and use the necessary level of protection for, your personal information.
- LIAD is committed to protecting the security of your personal information and we take all reasonable precautions to protect it from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Your personal information is stored on secure servers that have Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) Certificates encryption technology issued by leading certificate authorities Comodo Group, and all Data transferred between you and the Service is encrypted.
- However, the Internet is not in itself a secure environment and we cannot give an absolute assurance that your information will be secure at all times. Transmission of personal information over the Internet is at your own risk and you should only enter, or instruct the entering of, personal information to the Service within a secure environment.
- We will advise you at the first reasonable opportunity upon discovering or being advised of a security breach where your personal information is lost, stolen, accessed, used, disclosed, copied, modified, or disposed of by any unauthorised persons or in any unauthorised manner.
- Disclosure of your Personal Information
- LIAD only discloses your Personal Information in limited circumstances.
- LIAD will only disclose the personal information you have provided to us to entities outside the LIAD group of companies if it is necessary and appropriate to facilitate the purpose for which your personal information was collected pursuant to this Policy, including the provision of the Service.
- LIAD will not otherwise disclose your personal information to a third party unless you have provided your express consent. However, you should be aware that LIAD may be required to disclose your personal information without your consent in order to comply with any court orders, subpoenas, or other legal process or investigation including by tax authorities, if such disclosure is required by law. Where possible and appropriate, we will notify you if we are required by law to disclose your personal information.
- The third parties who host our servers do not control, and are not permitted to access or use your personal information except for the limited purpose of storing the information. This means that, for the purposes of Australian privacy legislation and Australian users of the Service, LIAD does not currently “disclose” personal information to third parties located overseas.
- LIAD does not store your credit card details.
- If you choose to pay for the Service by credit card, your credit card details are not stored by the Service and cannot be accessed by LIAD staff. Your credit card details are encrypted and securely stored by Stripe Inc. and or PayPal to enable LIAD to automatically bill your credit card on a recurring basis. We recommend that you review these parties’ Privacy Policies to ensure you are happy with them.
- If you choose to pay for one of the qualifying packages using either the Apple Store or the Google Play Store, then all payment details are maintained by these parties, with LIAD having no access whatsoever. We recommend that you review these parties’ Privacy Policies to ensure that you are happy.
- You may request access to your personal information.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the personal information you provide to us is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You may request access to the information we hold about you, or request that we update or correct any personal information we hold about you, by setting out your request in writing and sending it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LIAD will process your request as soon as reasonably practicable, provided we are not otherwise prevented from doing so on legal grounds. If we are unable to meet your request, we will let you know why. For example, it may be necessary for us to deny your request if it would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy or affairs of other individuals, or if it is not reasonable and practicable for us to process your request in the manner you have requested. In some circumstances, it may be necessary for us to seek to arrange access to your personal information through a mutually agreed intermediary (for example, the Subscriber).
- We will only keep your personal information for as long as we require it for the purposes of providing you with the Service. However, we may also be required to keep some of your personal information for specified periods of time, for example under certain laws relating to corporations, money laundering, and financial reporting legislation.
- E-mail communications
- You can opt-out of any email communications
- LIAD sends billing information, product information, Service updates and Service notifications to you via email. Our emails will contain clear and obvious instructions describing how you can choose to be removed from any mailing list not essential to the Service. LIAD will remove you at your request.
- You are responsible for transfer of your data to third-party applications.
- Behavioural Advertising
We may partner with a third party to either display advertising on our website or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this website and other sites in order to provide you with advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests.
- California privacy rights
Users who are California residents may request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, certain information about the Personal Data (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of Personal Data that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to email@example.com
- Privacy complaints process
- If You wish to complain about how we have handled your personal information, please provide our Privacy Officer with full details of your complaint and any supporting documentation by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Privacy Officer will endeavour to:
- provide an initial response to your query or complaint within 10-business days, and
- investigate and attempt to resolve your query or complaint within 30-business days or such longer period as is necessary and notified to you by our Privacy Officer.
- This policy may be updated from time to time.
Last updated: June 2017